From my previous post I was played around with some modular type in the word "turning".
First of all, I thought that defining constraints would be beneficial in because it would make the typeface consistent throughout each individual letter. Above, you can see how I tested different heights and lengths of strokes. From this I decided that I would construct the font using a 2x6 grid, using curved strokes at either end (top or bottom) when practical. No serifs for this one.
I continued sketching, experimenting with letter shapes and such. The most frustrating part were the terminals, since I wanted them to be rounded so that each letter could have a wave-like quality to them.
I initially ignored punctuation but eventually got to it. Still in the sketching phase, I started to imagine how this would actually look when typed out. My intent was that it would be a heading font. The slimness and elegance of it would be a tip-of-the-hat to Art Deco style fonts while maintaining an obvious geometric structure.
Once I had settled on the glyphs for the main alphabet and digits, I digitized them in Illustrator and the Glyphs. It was exciting to see them more tangibly than just pencil on paper. Now, pixels on other pixels, how exciting. I opted for four weights (at the time, I was not looking into variable fonts).
This was the first iteration of Aion. To go along with it, I made a more creative type specimen poster, inspired by a poster by Vienna Secessionist, Koloman Moser.
I was naive and thought I was done. A month later, I decided to refine and expand the character set so that I could actually publish the font for others to use. Here is when I focused more on punctuation and additional Latin characters. The most annoying character to design by far was the ampersand ("&"). With so many curves in it, it was difficult for me to get its form to work. I also simplified a few letters, including "T, H, J, K, and X." The revised specimen:
As you can see, the "M" and "W" are the only letters that do not strictly follow the modular rules that I laid out for myself. For legibility and stylistic consistency, I double their width. This first image is all the letters overlaid on one another.
I had achieved my goal of creating a organic, modular typeface. You can download all four weights from Github.